Network Rail Consulting appointed Systems Integrator for Sydney’s Digital Systems Program
Network Rail Consulting’s Australian subsidiary has been awarded a contract by Transport for NSW (TfNSW) for the role of Systems Integrator for the Digital Systems Program for Sydney, a core element of “More Trains, More Services” to deliver major systems upgrades across the Sydney Trains’ network over the next decade.
The Digital Systems Program will replace existing signalling and train control systems with modern, internationally proven intelligent technology to enable more trains on track and therefore a higher frequency of reliable services for Sydney Trains’ customers.
Network Rail Consulting in combination with our partners Acmena, The Go-Ahead Group and Ineco, will be a key partner in delivering and integrating the Digital Systems Program on to the Sydney Trains’ network.
The Digital Systems Program consists of three main elements:
- Replacing trackside signalling equipment with the latest ETCS Level 2 technology;
- Implementing Automatic Train Operation (ATO), which will be used to assist drivers – who will still remain in control – and provide faster and more consistent journey times; and
- Introducing a Traffic Management System (TMS) for more effective incident management and service regulation across the network.
Network Rail Consulting’s Global Managing Director, Nigel Ash, said “Having been involved in the development of the Digital Systems Program in various forms over the last 5 years we’re delighted to have the opportunity to continue our support to TfNSW on this next exciting phase. Our team has a unique combination of Australian, Spanish and UK expertise in the latest digital rail technology and we are delighted to be working alongside our international partners to provide world class expertise to TfNSW.”
As Systems Integrator Network Rail Consulting and our partners will be responsible for the definition and management of technical, operational and program integration issues, and will work collaboratively with TfNSW, Sydney Trains and suppliers of the new technologies to achieve the program milestones and importantly to realise the full safety and service benefits for Sydney Trains, NSW TrainLink, and other freight and passenger operators and customers.
L-R: Mark Pettigrew NRC Regional Director ANZ, Nigel Ash NRC Global Managing Director, Pascal Labouze Executive Director Operational Systems at Transport for NSW, Stephen Lemon Program Director Digital Systems at Transport for NSW.
For further information, contact:
- Olivia Thornton T: +44 20 7413 3711 [email protected]
About Network Rail Consulting
- Network Rail Consulting is a wholly owned subsidiary of Network Rail and was established in 2012 to benchmark Network Rail’s capabilities in the international market and enhance the capabilities of its staff through international experience which could then be deployed back into its UK operations.
- The board of directors of Network Rail Consulting comprises Susan Cooklin (non-executive chair), Nigel Ash (managing director), Andrew Noble (finance director), Thomas Downs (non-executive director), Ian Dobbs (non-executive director), Andy Thomas (non-executive director) and Jeremy Westlake (non-executive director).
- Network Rail Consulting has subsidiaries in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the USA; and operates from offices in Boston, London (HQ), New York, Riyadh, San Francisco, Sydney, Toronto and Washington DC.
- Network Rail Consulting is selling the full range of rail expertise available within Network Rail including asset management, maintenance planning and optimisation, timetabling and simulation modelling, technical assistance and interim management; and project and programme management.
About Network Rail
- Network Rail owns, manages and develops Britain’s railway – the 20,000 miles of track, 40,000 bridges and viaducts and thousands of tunnels, signals, level crossings and points. We also manage rail timetabling and 18 of the largest stations in England, Scotland and Wales. In partnership with train operators we help people take more than 1.7bn journeys by rail every year - double the number of 1996 - and move hundreds of millions of tonnes of freight, saving almost 8m lorry journeys. We’re investing £38bn in the railway by 2019 to deliver more frequent, more reliable, safer services and brighter and better stations.
- Acmena is an Australian consultancy with offices in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney, we provide high value rail consultancy services, encompassing railway systems engineering, human-centred design and business consultancy services, to deliver whole lifecycle support to complex rail infrastructure projects. We ensure that we meet project goals in the most cost-effective manner and to the highest engineering standards possible by applying a systems thinking approach focussing on the customer, user, technical and business needs of the project.
- Ineco is a global leader in infrastructure engineering and consultancy. For over 50 years, its expert team of around 3,000 employees has been contributing to the development of infrastructures in all areas of transport: planning, airports, air navigation, railways, roads, urban transport and ports sectors, offering solutions in more than 50 countries.
- Go-Ahead is one of the UK's leading public transport providers enabling more than a billion journeys each year on our bus and rail services. At Go-Ahead we place great importance on partnership, adopting a collaborative approach with governments, local communities and strategic partners; developing and operating services that create long term value for all of us.