The Long Island Rail Road runs the commuter service from various conurbations in Long Island into the heart of New York City to Penn Station in Manhattan. The railroad operating is the busiest commuter railroad in the US.
The Long Island Rail Road is currently delivering a program of work to provide a dependable railroad with a customer-first focus through provision of the LIRR Forward Plan which will deliver improved: reliability and safety, cleanliness and communications.
Task 1 – Operations Diagnostic Review:
- Task 1 comprised a series of reviews of operations and maintenance diagnostic observations around procedures for planning and taking planned possessions looking to provide productivity improvements as well as seasonal preparedness plans for autumn, winter and spring/summer.
Task 2 – Implementation Tasks
- Task 2 comprised a number of ‘implementation tasks’ which focused on 5 key deliverable items.
Listed these were:
- Incident Management – categorization of control alerts to provide standardization
- Bridge Strike Implementation – categorization of bridges on the LIRR network to follow UK best practice
- Low Emission Diesel Locomotive procurement – assistance with procurement exercise to provide technical expertise
- West Side Storage Yard – review of developer plans to ascertain impact to overbuild project to storage yard stabling.
- Brooklyn Scoot – review of train plan and options to provide a through service from Atlantic Terminal out to Long Island.
Task 3 – Operational Rules Review
- Review of LIRR operational rules to ascertain options to improve operational practices and policies to make efficiencies and ultimately seek to deliver enhanced safety and performance improving measures.
Task 4 – Station Security
- Review of LIRR station security practices to ascertain options to enhance current working practices and seek to provide guidance on the current security strategy.
- In addition, seek to understand if current security measures have the ability to provide additional information to assist in engineering and asset management practices.
Task 5 – Maintenance Diagnostic Review
- Review of LIRR maintenance practices to assist in reducing the number of track circuit and switch failures on the network.
Task 6 – Route Cards
- Production of route cards to reduce the time needed to pass a signal at danger and to provide a UK best practice measure.
Task 7 – Dual Mode Operation
- Review of a subconsultant plan to turn Dual Mode trains in Penn Station New York as part of the West Side Yard overbuild mitigation works.
Task 8 – East Side Access Readiness Support (phase 1)
- Review of the MTA Rail Activation Plan (RAP) in advance of a new train service operating from Grand Central station.
Key project outputs involved the following:
- Task 1 – recommendations for improvement of planned outage taking and seasonal preparedness plans
- Task 2 – delivery of control alert incident categorization, implementation of bridge strike categorization to top 10 most struck bridges on the LIRR, technical workscope review of low emission diesel procurement for locomotives, technical review of developers plans to ascertain impact to yard stabling and review of train plan to provide options for a through service from Brooklyn to Long Island
- Task 3 – recommendations for enhanced station security
- Task 4 – recommendations for improved safety and performance initiatives through change to operational rules
- Task 5 – recommendations to reduce number of switch and track circuit failures
- Task 6 – delivery of route cards to be used in the event a signal requires passing at danger.
- Task 7 – critique of an existing study carried out by a subconsultant to provide detailed errors and risks associated with turning dual mode trains in Penn Station New York
- Task 8 – delivery of risks and recommendations to afford a seamless operation of a new service plan from Grand Central station.
Client: Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)
Location: Long Island
Start date: June 2018
End date: May 2020 – potential to be continued
Duration: 23 months
Services provided: Provide operations and maintenance support to the LIRR to help deliver on-time operations and maintenance excellence.