Network Rail Consulting Wins Boston MBTA Contract
Boston, 9th September – Network Rail Consulting (NRC) was awarded a $15-million contract by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) on 25 February 2019 to assist the agency in managing its assets in accordance with best practice principles, to support the upgrade of several rail lines to higher levels of performance, and to secure a specific set of outcomes desired by the Board and staff.
The NRC team will be working alongside the MBTA’s engineering, operations, and capital delivery staff to achieve targets of more effective management, creating efficiencies in maintenance through improvements in productivity, delivering more work in shorter periods, and with the goal of reducing the time to achieve a State of Good Repair.
NRC will work with MBTA professionals collaboratively to move from “find and fix” maintenance to the principles of “predict and prevent”. In addition, as is the case with all NRC projects, the scope for this work includes significant mentoring and training of MBTA staff, to prepare the organization to maintain the State of Good Repair and enable the desired outcomes to be met over the long-term.
Gordon Williams, Associate Vice President - North East, said: “We’re very excited to start this journey with MBTA and realize the vision set out by its Board and senior staff, including its aspirations to renew its network to be the best in North America. The MBTA knows exactly where it wants to be in 2025 and what its customers expect, and much of our work will be joining with the staff to help develop the roadmap to achieve these goals.”
Nigel Ash, Chief Executive Officer of NRC, said: “This is a great win for our team in North America and demonstrates the value and skills we are taking abroad as NRC, helping operators to overcome challenges and ensure their infrastructure is fit for the future.”
For further information, contact:
Dami Ahmed • T +44 20 7973 5932 • [email protected]
Notes to Editors
About Network Rail Consulting
- Network Rail Consulting is a wholly owned subsidiary of Network Rail and was established in 2012 to benchmark Network Rail’s capabilities in the international market and enhance the capabilities of its staff through international experience which could then be deployed back into its UK operations.
- The board of directors of Network Rail Consulting comprises Susan Cooklin (non-executive chair), Nigel Ash (managing director), Andrew Noble (finance director), Thomas Downs (non-executive director), Ian Dobbs (non-executive director), and Jeremy Westlake (non-executive director).
- Network Rail Consulting has subsidiaries in Australia, Canada, and the USA; and operates from offices in Boston, London (HQ), New York, Riyadh, San Francisco, Sydney, Toronto and Washington DC.
- Network Rail Consulting is selling the full range of rail expertise available within Network Rail including asset management, maintenance planning and optimisation, timetabling and simulation modelling, technical assistance and interim management; and project and programme management.
- More information can be found at www.networkrailconsulting.com
About Network Rail
Network Rail owns, manages and develops Britain’s railway – the 20,000 miles of track, 30,000 bridges and viaducts and thousands of tunnels, signals, level crossings and points. We also manage rail timetabling and 20 of the largest stations in England, Scotland and Wales. In partnership with train operators we help people take more than 1.7bn journeys by rail every year - double the number of 1996 - and move hundreds of millions of tonnes of freight, saving almost 8m lorry journeys. We’re investing £47bn in the railway by 2024 to deliver a more reliable, safer and efficient railway.